We are an award winning independent bookshop located in the centre of Oswestry, a thriving market town on the border, where Shropshire meets Wales.
Since opening in October 2009, Booka has quickly established a reputation as a destination shop, renowned for the quality of its book stock and its strong community focus. We host a wide and varied range of author events and work closely with schools, libraries and other organisations to promote a passion for books and reading.
With a prominent position on the high street and a bright and airy ‘boutique’ feel, Booka provides a distinctive and memorable shopping experience – one that can’t be bought online! It combines its book offer with a range of high quality cards, stationery and gifts and a cafe selling coffee, teas and delicious home-made cakes.
In 2015, 6 years after opening, Booka was named UK & Ireland Independent Bookshop of the Year and is now recognised as one of the leading independent bookshops in the UK.
After a lot of planning and four months of building work, 2017 saw the major expansion of the bookshop to provide an additional floor of retail space with much needed storage and back office space on the top floor of the building. Upstairs at Booka opened in October 2017 as we celebrated our 8th Birthday!
On our bookselling journey we’ve fortunate enough to win the odd award or two:
- Winner – Best Small Business 2017 – Oswestry & Border Counties Advertizer Community Awards
- Winner – UK & Ireland Independent Bookshop of the Year 2015 (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Winner – Midlands & Wales Independent Bookshop of the Year 2014 & 2015 (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Shortlisted – UK Best Small Shops 2015 Finalist (Independent Retailers Confederation)
- Shortlisted & Highly Commended for Independent Bookshop of the Year 2013 – Midlands & Wales Region (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Winner – Independent Retailer of the Year 2013 – Oswestry Chronicle Business Awards
Booka is owned and run by ‘wife and husband team’ Carrie and Tim Morris. Like many bookshops we are fortunate to have a talented and enthusiastic team of staff with different backgrounds and varied interests. Tim and Carrie are ably assisted by Jess (Bookshop Manager), Rosie, Louisa, Ruth, Ben, Sue, Ella, Becca and Hannah. Helena, Maisy and Jessie help out on a Saturday and during holidays as do others when they’re home from Univeristy.