We are an award winning independent bookshop located in the centre of Oswestry, a thriving market town on the border, where Shropshire meets Wales.
Since opening in October 2009, Booka has quickly established a reputation as a destination shop, renowned for the quality of its book stock and its strong community focus. We host a wide and varied range of author events and work closely with schools, libraries and other organisations to promote a passion for books and reading. With a prominent position on the high street and a bright and airy ‘boutique’ feel, Booka provides a distinctive and memorable shopping experience – one that can’t be bought online! It combines its book offer with a range of high quality cards, stationery and gifts and a cafe selling coffee, teas and delicious home-made cakes.
Our Booka Manifesto sums up what we’re all about!
- Winner – UK & Ireland Independent Bookshop of the Year 2015 (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Winner – Midlands & Wales Independent Bookshop of the Year 2014 & 2015 (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Shortlisted – UK Best Small Shops 2015 Finalist (Independent Retailers Confederation)
- Shortlisted & Highly Commended for Independent Bookshop of the Year 2013 – Midlands & Wales Region (Bookseller Industry Awards)
- Winner – Independent Retailer of the Year 2013 – Oswestry Chronicle Business Awards
- 50 Best Bookshops in the Country – The Independent, January 2012
The Booka Team
Booka is owned and run by ‘wife & husband team’ Carrie and Tim Morris, ably assisted by Jess, Louisa, Rosie & Ruth. Ella & Jessie help out on a Saturday and during holidays, as do others when they’re home from college.